About Me

Lynnwood, Washington, United States
These are The Adventures of Motorcycle Max. I hope you enjoy this great collection of stories, all true - No fiction here! Tune in while we discuss Motorcycles, Racing - both now and then, and whatever else sparks our fancy. Do you have a question for Max? Send it to us! And Thanks for stopping by!

Friday, October 1, 2010

The Bostrom Story

Do you enjoy motorcycle stories? Several of my friends have been after me to do this blog, so let’s see if I can entertain you with some of the things that have happened to me over the 35 years I have been in the motorcycle industry. Not all of the stories you will read will have happened to me, but they are accurate to the best of my memory.

I got into motorcycles because of my ex-brother in law, who was a mid-pack racer in the San Francisco Bay Area.  He gave me my first lesson on a BSA Lightning. Much like the one pictured here.
BSA Lightning

My next series of lessons was given to me by my older sister - good thing my mom does not have a computer. Larry (the ex) crashed a lot, but he was friends with the likes of Dick Mann, the Bostrom brothers and many more.  Ben and Eric Bostrom’s dad is Dave Bostrom and their uncle is Paul. Both of these guys were very talented racers.

Legends Flat Track Race, Dave Bostrom (81)

So let’s start with the Bostroms.  I was at Sturgis in the mid 90s and attending the vintage ½ mile race.  As they lined up the 650 class, they announced the riders’ names and Dave is in the second row. I tell the guy next to me that this is going to be no contest. I think it was an 8 lap race and at the end Dave won by about ½ a lap.  Again, a very talented racer. 

Parts Unlimited, for whom I was a regional sales manager for the past 9 years, always hosted a hospitality suite for their dealers at the Hangtown Motocross near Sacramento.  One year Dave shows up and he begins to tell me stories about “back in the day” with my sister and her husband (now ex).  He tells me (and I later called my sister to confirm) about the time my sister dressed him up as a girl for a Halloween Party.

A few months later at the Parts Unlimited National Sales Meeting, Ben and Eric Bostrom are displaying their product lines, one of which is T-Shirts with vintage pictures of their dad.  I took Ben aside and told him that he should keep his dad away from the involvement of the clothing design because I knew for a fact that he’s is a “Known Cross-Dresser”.   In good fun I told him of the story that was passed to me and he said he’d give his dad a bad time about it. 

Stay tuned for Rossi’s impression of the Cork Screw at Laguna.

No comments:

Post a Comment